WHAT DO I NEED TO DRIVE and FLY MY PET INTO MEXICO FROM THE US AND BACK IN 2021?
- For 2021, No Health Certificate is required to bring your pets from the US to Mexico.
- No Rabies Vaccination is required to bring your pets from the US to Mexico.
- At the border, your pet will be inspected for health. Inspection Officers are at the airports, not at land borders
- Only Dogs and Cats are considered Pets. Other pets may require a fee for import.
- You may bring in up to three Dogs or Cats for free.
- Four or more Dogs or Cats are approx. 112-150usd per pet fee.
- No Dogs or Cats under 3 months of age can enter Mexico.
- Last. What you need to return to the US is not the same as entry to Mexico. IN 2021, the US does not require a Health Certificate or vaccination records; HOWEVER, the airlines set their own policies. Go to their websites for pet policies.
TIP:. The ATMs will ask you to accept or decline 2 charges. You must Accept the banks fee but REJECT the next 2nd request to accept the CONVERSION. This Conversion changes the rate favorable to the bank. Decline the Conversion and you still get your money but only pay the ATM fee.
WHAT DO I NEED TO FLY MY PET TO MEXICO IN 2021?
- As of 2019, Mexico does not require a Health Certificate or Proof of Rabies Vaccination/Booster.
- BUT Most Airlines flying your Pet will require a Health Certificate and Rabies Vaccination/Booster.
- The Health Certificate for the Airline must be from a Veterinarian and can be the APHIS 7001.
- The Health Certificate does not need to be from a USDA endorsed Veterinarian. It can come from your Pet’s Veterinarian.
- The Airline will require you show proof of a Rabies Vaccination/Booster no less than 30 days prior to travel and no older than 12 months. You do not want the vaccination/booster to expire and if your pet has a 3 year vaccine, you will need to get a booster at least 30 days before travel even though it has not expired.
- On Arrival, your Pet will be physically inspected for health with no signs of disease, wounds and no ectoparasites (fleas, ticks etc.).
- If your pet shows sign of ill-health, your pet will be delayed entry and must get a Veterinarian to examine and approve your pet at your expense.
- Other pets (Rabbits, Ferrets etc..) will incur a fee for a Mexico Import Certificate. Mexico only recognizes Dogs and Cats as “Pets”.
- You may bring one days’ supply of food for each pet.
- The container must be free of bedding, toys etc. It will be subject to a disinfectant spray. Any remaining items other than a leash and collar are subject to disposal.
- See your Airline and the Centers for Disease Control for further information.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING MY PET BACK INTO THE US FROM MEXICO IN 2021?
- Mexico is not a “High Risk” country per the Centers for Disease Control.
- You do not need a Health Certificate or Rabies vaccination to return from Mexico if your Dog or Cat originated in the US and did not travel to a high-risk country in the 6 months prior to entry.
- If flying, your Airline has their own requirements that also follow the requirements of the destination State. Check your Airlines’ pet policy.
- Your Pet will be physically inspected. Each pet must appear healthy with no fresh or healing wound and no indicia of ectoparasites, (fleas, ticks etc.).
- If driving from Mexico to the US, your pet may be inspected for health, but inspection is not likely.
- Pets other than Dogs and Cats are regulated by State Regulations or the US Fish and Wildlife. California does not allow Pet Ferrets to be brought into the US.
It is always best to bring copies of your ownership, registration, health history including medications and photos of your pet with your while travelling in case your pet is lost or abducted.