When You want to Buy a Seat for Extra Space on a Plane for Your Pets, you still have options. Here are 10 airlines that fly Large Dogs In Cabin.
If you still cannot find an airline that suits your route or other needs, here’s a list of Airlines that allow Dogs In-Cabin larger than the Standard for most commercial airlines.
Airlines that Allow You to Buy a Seat or Extra Space on a Plane for Your Pet
|Airlines That Allow You to Buy Extra Seat or Extra Space||Pet on a Plane|
Extra Seat or Extra Space
Cost: Regular Seat Fare
|Yes. You can buy the seat next to yours. Medium and Large Dogs |
In Cabin will Travel on
the Floor Space Next to Your Seat.
All Dogs up to 79lbs are allowed. (cats too!)
|Chartered Air Travel with Pets|
Cost: Large Dog In Cabin: Average of 5k to 8k
|You will have 1 luxury Human|
seat plus one large dog or 1-2
small to medium-sized dogs
Extra Seat Fare
+125 per Dog or Cat
|Your Pet May Sit on Your lap 2nd |
Pet Must Remain
in a Carrier under the seat
in front of the extra Seat.
Extra Seat Fare
+$125 per Dog or Cat
|Your Pet & Carrier May Sit on Your Lap |
You Can Buy a Seat–Pet & Carrier Can
Be On the Seat
Extra Seat Fare+$100
|2 Carriers Allowed. Carriers & Pets |
Must Remain in the Carrier under the
seat in front.
|WestJet Airlines||You can buy Extra Space for a |
Working Dogs are Allowed In Cabin
in the Foot Space of your Seat or Buy an Extra Seat
International Flights for $65 each way Pet Fee
|International flights: the US to Canada, Pet Can Be in the Foot Space of the Seat & Not under the seat in front. International Flights for $65 each way|
|Elite Airways||Large Dogs are allowed on the floor in front of the window seat. You can purchase a seat for extra floor space|
|Etihad Airways||Your Pet & Carrier May Sit on Your Lap |
You Can Buy a Seat–Pet & Carrier Can
Be On the Seat
|Vueling Airlines||Extra Space. Your Pet can travel on the floor, between your legs in their carrier|
I have another chart of more airlines that fly larger Dogs In Cabin at the end of this article.
See My Favorite Pet Travel Finds here: Travel with Dogs–Give the Gift Pet Parents Actually Want!
10 Airlines that Allow Large Dogs on a Plane IN CABIN
1. JSX Airlines
Your Pet Travel begins and ends at private terminals, so you and your large Dog bypass the usual hassle of airport traffic and crowded terminals. Getting through customs is easier with JSX too!
As The Points Guy said when he flew JSX Airlines: “Perks of departing from the private jet terminal include being able to show up just 20 minutes before your flight. … There are minimal lines, no putting stuff in bins and no taking shoes off.”
All well-trained Dogs up to 79lbs can fly in cabin with you–cats too!jsx airlines
You can buy the seat adjacent to yours (all business class) and your Large Dog will Travel with you In-Cabin for the price of the seat. You’ll have even more legroom sharing two seats, too!
Pet Travel with JSX Airlines and Your Large Dog In-Cabin flights are limited to the US only. See Flight Route Map Below.
See Also, Amazon Pet Travel Finds Under $25
2. Chartered Air Travel with Pets
Pet Travel and Flying with Dogs In Cabin to and from Europe or the UK with Pets is complicated if cargo is not possible or not your preference.
Chartered private jets are expensive and only possible for most of us if shared with other travelers. This group coordinates flights for travelers so they can fly with large Dogs In-Cabin the. Pet Travel costs are expensive. With Charted Air Travel with Pets, the cost is shared and chartered air transport is a real possibility.
- Cost Example: Expect to spend between $7K -$10K for a seat on a chartered jet from NY to Lisbon (shortest distance from US to EU).
- Cost to Fly with a Large Dog In Cabin: Average of 5k to 8k
- Your seat will usually include one luxury human seat plus one large dog or 1-2 small to medium sized dogs on a flight designed for 10-14 people.
- Each flight is unique and the group on the flight will agree on the rules of the flight.
- You Can Travel with Your Large Dog In-Cabin, You have a luxury seat with more space for you and your Pets.
- Less Customs Hassle. Sometimes, the Customs Agent greets you onboard and checking your documents in comfort and without lines and waiting.
- Little Wait at the Airport and fast, easy boarding
- VIP experience for Pet Travel
- The same or Less Expensive than hiring a Pet Shipper
- No Cargo or Checked Baggage for Your precious Pet.
See Also, Can I Fly with 2 Pets In-Cabin?
CompanionPetTravel is a participant in Affiliate programs including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and ESA Doctors affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and others.
United Airlines allows with small Dogs, Cats and Rabbits In-Cabin. Pets must remain inside their pet carrier underneath the seat in front your seat You can buy the seat adjacent to yours and bring an additional carrier with another Dog, Cat or Rabbit. Only 1 adult cat or dog is allowed in each carrier. The fee for pets in the cabin is $125 each way on United Airlines flights.
See Also, Companion Pet Travel: Flying with Pets for all options to fly with your Dog or Cat.
You may hold the carrier on your lap during the flight except for take-off and landing. If you purchase an extra seat for your pet, the carrier may be placed on the additional purchased seat during the flight. This is better than flying with your Pet under the seat. You must purchase the extra seat at regular fare +$125 per Dog or Cat
5. Alaska Air
You Can Travel with 2 Carriers and 2 Pets. Both Carriers and Pets Must Remain in the Carrier under the seats in front of them and cannot travel on the seat. There is no Weight Limit. You will have to buy the extra seat at regular fare, plus a +$100 pet fee each way.
See also, Flying with a Large Dog In Cabin in 2022
WestJet is a Canadian Airline with routes to many cities in the US allows Dogs and Pets In Cabin.
WestJet offers a unique program, not offered by many air carriers.
WestJet allows Working Dogs to fly In Cabin and you can buy an adjacent seat if your Working Dog needs more space than your seat allows
What is a Working Dog. A Working Dog is not considered a Service Dog so this policy allows large Dog to fly In Cabin and with additional space.
- Working dogs do not provide a service to a person with a disability or provide personal assistance to their handler.
- Working dogs are trained to perform tasks at the direction of their handler. These tasks may include:
- locating people or items (search, rescue, avalanche, or tracking dogs)
- performing specific tasks for the military or police (detection, scout, sentry)
- other highly specialized skills. Working dogs will be charged the pet in cabin fee, and if the specialty dog requires additional floor space to ensure its comfort and safety on board, an additional seat must be purchased (based on availability).
WestJet offers this program, but this is not something offered by many air carriers. This is an opportunity to make flying with a pit bull easier. Pit Bulls, in addition to their loving nature, are naturally very strong and often trained for work. We strongly recommend that you confirm the policies for the acceptance of working dogs of our partner airlines or any other transportation service provider as their policies may be different from ours.
This program does not apply to WestJet Vacation package bookings.
You may interested in Should I Buy a Pet Stroller?
For International flights from US to Canada and US to France (LAX to Paris beginning April 2022), your Pet Can Be in the Foot Space of the Seat & Not under the seat in front. International Flights for $65 each way.
The Points Guy flew with a Dog and has this review: “Boarding was chaotic (although I’m hoping that will improve as the airline gets more flights under its belt), they didn’t serve dinner, the 3-4-3 seating configuration is pretty tight, there’s no TSA PreCheck and the Wi-Fi didn’t work on my flight. It isn’t my favorite way to travel (as seen by my purchases), but French Bee is an option for those wanting to go to Paris as cheaply as possible — especially if they manage to iron out the kinks.”
Cost Flat Pet Fee: $65 per trip, non-refundable. Snub Nose are NOT accepted—even in cabin.
Great transatlantic pet travel option!
See also, Cool Pet Travel Gear for the Stylish Dog
Large Dogs are allowed on the floor in front of the window seat. You can purchase a seat for extra floor space. Dogs are not allowed on the seat or your lap but, being able to purchase an empty seat and have your large Dog in the cabin on the floor space may be worth the extra seat price. (You’ll have a bit more room too!)
Pet reservations must be made at least 48-hours in advance of departure, and are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached.
Elite Airways is a smaller airline; however, if you are on the East coast, they are an option for Large Dogs In Cabin!
This also is an opportunity to make flying with a Pit Bull easier. Pit Bulls, in addition to their loving nature, are naturally very strong, and finding a carrier to travel in cargo is problematic. If the Pit Bull were to fly in cargo, airlines often require the crate to be stronger and therefore heavier.
Sometimes, this pushes the maximum weight beyond what is feasible for the Dog. Being able to purchase the seat next to you is a step forward–even if your furry friend has to remain on the floor space.
See also, Shared Private Charter Flights for Pets
- Dog and Cats are accepted.
- If you are traveling in Economy, your pet will sit in their carrier under your seat, or you can purchase an adjacent seat for them to sit in their carrier next to you. The pet travel bag or kennel must not exceed 40 x 40 x 22cm (L x W x H) to fit under your seat or 50 x 43 x 50cm (L x W x H) if you have purchased an adjacent seat
- If you are traveling in Business or First, you can purchase an adjacent seat for your pet to sit in their carrier next to you. The pet travel bag or kennel must not exceed 50 x 43 x 50cm (L x W x H)
- Your cat or dog must be at least 16 weeks old and weigh no more than 8kg including their carrier
- Pets will not be accepted on flights operated by our partner airlines.
- You must be at least 18 years old to travel with a pet.
10. Vueling Airlines
- Pets Accepted In Cabin: Dogs, Cats, Birds (excluding birds of prey), Turtles/tortoises
- Your Pet is permitted on board (In Cabin) and must be carried in an approved pet carrier that is not rigid and that is the following size: 45x39x21 cm and no heavier than 10 kg with the pet inside.
- On flights operated by Iberia, the carrier with the pet inside must not weigh more than 8 kg.
- You must store your Pet carrier with your Pet inside on the floor, between your legs or under the seat in front.
More Airlines that Fly Dogs In-Cabin
|Airlines that Fly Larger Dogs IN CABIN||Pets In Cabin, Aboard Details|
Pet Fee: $75 Each Way
|Mostly US Domestic Flights. Option if |
you Need to Get West Coast to East
25 lbs Max Pet with Carrier
Max Carrier: 18″x13″x9”
|Boutique Air||Mostly US Domestic Routes Small Airline|
Accepts Lap-Sized Dogs and Cats On
No Additional Charge for Your Pet
|JSX Airlines||Your Dog Can Weigh Up to 65 lbs.!|
You Can Purchase the Seat Next to Your and Share the Footprint with Your Pet.
No having to Fit Under the Seat
|Chartered Air Travel with Pets||US to Europe|
No Crates or Carriers
First-Class at a more affordable price than Pet Transportation Companies
Pet Fee: Free
|Cats and Dogs with NO weight restrictions|
Flys NY, Miami, Boston to Nicaragua, Uruguay, Paraguay and Ecuador
Pet must be at least 8 weeks old
Pet Fee: $30 to $150
|“Generally about 20″x15″x10” and weighing less than 40 pounds”|
Pet Fee: 10% of Your Ticket
|Dogs and Cats Up to 33 lbs! |
VIP experience for Pet Travel
|WestJet Airlines||US to Central America & Europe |
WestJet allows Working Dogs to fly In Cabin
& you buy an adjacent seat if your Working Dog needs more space than your seat space allows
|Spirit Airlines||Dogs, Cats & Household Birds United States |
Up to 40 lbs/18 kg.
Domestic and flights to/from Puerto Rico
& St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.
You may like Amazon Pet Travel Finds Under $25
Can I Purchase Extra Space on a Plane for a Pet?
Yes, these Airlines allow you to buy an extra seat, more space or allow your Pet to sit on your lap: JSX Airline, Chartered Air Travel with Pets, United Airlines, Alaska Air, JetBlue Airlines, WestJet Air, Elite Airways, JXS Airlines and Frenchbee Airlines.
Airlines that let you buy an extra seat on a Plane for your Pet(s) are: JSX Airline, Shared Charter Flights with Pets, United Airlines, Alaska Air and JetBlue and Frenchbee. For JXS and Chartered Air Travel with Pets, your Pet must remain in the footprint of the floor space adjacent to your seat. For Commercial planes, your Pets must be in a carrier under the seat.
You can see all my information for Pet Travel Here: Companion Pet Travel: Flying with Pets
Flying Internationally with your Dog or Cat? Chartered Air Travel with Pets, JXS airlines and Frenchbee Airlines fly larger Dogs In Cabin Aboard their Aircraft.
Can an Airline Deny my Pet to Fly?
Airlines may deny your Pet to Fly if they violate Safety Requirements set be each airline. This usually applies to Dogs.
If the Dog is too big, too heavy, is ill-behaved (excessive barking, growling, jumping, lunging, nipping, or biting), or appears unhealthy or unclean, the airline can deny you boarding a plane at the gate or ticket counter.
Poorly behaved Pets are the primary reason ESAs (Emotional Support Animals) are now no longer given the same priority on planes as qualified Service Dogs. There are more reasons, but ill-behaved Dogs are the primary reason.
Your Dog must be well-socialized to be around people in crowded spaces. Airlines are allowed to observe your Pet in the Airport, particularly at the ticket counter and while waiting at the gate.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) of the United States recently issued a ruling prohibiting airlines from denying boarding to dogs based on their breed. This includes Pitbulls or other pitbull-type breeds.
According to the ruling effective Jan 11th 2021, any breed of dog may accompany passengers on a plane.
Documents Needed for Moving or Flying with Pets Internationally
- Microchip Certificate
- Rabies Vaccination Certificate
- Health Certificate. For International Pet Travel, you may need more than 1 Health Certificate–Some transit countries require their own Certificates.
- Rabies Titer Test results
- Parasite Treatment certificate—Often Deworming
- This is just a guide on what is required, please check the requirements for your specific airline and destination country at our page: Pet Passports and Pet Health Certificates.
See Also, Flying with a Large Dog In Cabin in 2022