10 Airlines that allow Large Dogs In Cabin in 2022: JSX Airlines, La Compagnie Airlines, Chartered Air Travel with Pets, and WestJet Airlines and more!
What is the Standard Size for Airline Pet Carriers In-Cabin?
The Standard Size for Pet Carriers is 22”Lx14”Wx 9” and for Pets In-Cabin the average weight for your Pet is 8kg or 17lbs. Soft-Sided Carriers are best for Airlines. The top compresses 1 or 2 inches, giving you more options than a Hard-Sided carrier. The carrier must be stowed under the seat at least for take-off and landing.
When your Dog is larger than the standard size or weight allowed by Airlines In-Cabin Here are Airlines that fly larger Dogs aboard their plane.
Airlines That Allow Large Dogs to Fly In Cabin
1. JSX Airlines
JSX permits flying with a large Dog In Cabin. Large Dogs to fly with In-Cabin. You can purchase the seat next to yours for your Pet. Your Dog is then permitted to sit or lay on the floor directly in front of the seat. They may not occupy the actual seat or sit on your lap.
You will pay for the extra seat but, you will have twice the floor space for your Pet, and you will have twice the seat space for you.
Requirements for Pet Travel with your Medium or Large Dogs In Cabin:
- One additional seat can be purchased by the customer, and one medium or large Dog is permitted to occupy the floor space in front of an adjoining seat.
- Seat Price is the current available rate for both “Hop On” and “All In” fares.
- Your Dog must be leashed at all times.
- Your Dog must weigh 65 lbs. or less.
- Your Dog must be well-behaved.
- When flying, your Dog may only occupy the space in front of the window seat, and the owner must sit in the adjoining aisle seat of any row except for the bulkhead or emergency exit rows.
- Seats together must be available at time of booking.
- All rows have only 2 seats or 1 seat. You will not be sharing space with others in your row.
To purchase your seat for you and your medium or large dog’s space, call direct Customer Support at (800) 435-9579. Please inform the Airport Services Concierge upon check-in if you are traveling with a pet that requires an adjoining seat. JSX Airlines Flying with a Large Dog In-Cabin Pet Policy
2. La Compagnie Airlines
La Compagnie –Another option-La Compagnie Airlines is a great alternative to the 8kg/18lbs pet weight limit on most airlines. This airline allows Dogs Up to 33 lbs! and Cats, too of course! They have limited routes so, you would need to make some flexibility in your Pet travel arrangements.
All the seats are Business Class. Cost: Fare is about 8k Your Pet’s Fare is 10% of your Ticket Price
Their Pet flights are from New York to Paris, Nice, Milan, Tel Aviv, Faro, Naples, Pisa, Toulouse, Rome.
For Example, if you fly to England, you cannot have a Pet In Cabin at all. One option is to fly into Paris with your Dog or Cat In Cabin and take the Pet Friendly Ferry across the English Channel or a Pet Taxi through the Chunnel. Many travelers report, this is actually less expensive than paying for the required pet receiver in London. See Flying Your Pet to England UK? (Options for Dogs In-Cabin 2022)!
See Complete Guides on how to get Pet Passport and Endorsed Health Certificates on my Pet Passports and Pet Health Certificates
3. Chartered Air Travel with Pets
Pet Travel and Flying with Dogs In Cabin to and from Europe or the UK with Pets is complicated if cargo is not possible or not your preference.
Chartered private jets are expensive and only possible for most of us if shared with other travelers. This group brings together Pet parents who have the same destination and want to fly with their pet In Cabin. Pet Travel costs are expensive. With Chartered Air Travel with Pets, the cost is shared, chartered air transport a real possibility.
- Cost Example: Expect to spend between $7K -$10K for a seat on a chartered jet from NY to Lisbon (shortest distance from US to EU).
- Cost to Fly with a Large Dog In Cabin: Average of 5k to 8k
- Your seat will usually include one luxury human seat plus one large dog OVER 40lbs or 1-2 small to medium sized dogs or 2 cats on a flight designed for 10-14 people.
- Each flight is unique and the group on the flight will agree on the rules of the flight.
- You Can Travel with Your Large Dog In-Cabin, You have a luxury seat with more space for you and your Pets.
- Less Customs Hassle. Sometimes, the Customs Agent greets you onboard and checking your documents in comfort and without lines and waiting.
- Little Wait at the Airport and fast, easy boarding
- VIP experience for Pet Travel
- The same or Less Expensive than hiring a Pet Shipper
- No Cargo or Checked Baggage for Your precious Pet.
See More at: Chartered Air Travel with Pets
WestJet is a Canadian Airline with routes to many cities in the US, Central America and Europe (France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and The Netherlands).
WestJet offers a unique program, not offered by many air carriers.
WestJet allows Working Dogs to fly In Cabin and you can buy an adjacent seat if your Working Dog needs more space than your seat allows
What is a Working Dog. A Working Dog is not considered a Service Dog so this policy allows large Dog to fly In Cabin and with additional space.
- Working dogs do not provide a service to a person with a disability or provide personal assistance to their handler.
- Working dogs are trained to perform tasks at the direction of their handler. These tasks may include:
- locating people or items (search, rescue, avalanche, or tracking dogs)
- performing specific tasks for the military or police (detection, scout, sentry)
- other highly specialized skills. Working dogs will be charged the pet in cabin fee, and if the specialty dog requires additional floor space to ensure its comfort and safety on board, an additional seat must be purchased (based on availability).
WestJet offers this program, but this is not something offered by many air carriers. We strongly recommend that you confirm the policies for the acceptance of working dogs of our partner airlines or any other transportation service provider as their policies may be different from ours.
This program does not apply to WestJet Vacation package bookings.
You can see all my information for Pet Travel Here: Companion Pet Travel: Flying with Pets
Airlines that Fly Dogs Larger than 17lbs In Cabin Aboard
Here’s a list of other airlines that fly Dogs larger than the Airline standard for Onboard, In Cabin of 8kg or 17 lbs. Pet travel with a larger dog in cabin requires more flexibility than traveling with just humans. These airlines fly large Dogs Domestic and Internationally
|Airlines that Fly Larger Dogs IN CABIN||Pets In Cabin, Aboard Details|
Pet Fee: $75 Each Way
|Mostly US Domestic Flights. Option if |
you Need to Get West Coast to East
25 lbs Max Pet with Carrier
Max Carrier: 18″x13″x9”
|Boutique Air||Mostly US Domestic Routes Small Airline|
Accepts Lap-Sized Dogs and Cats On
No Additional Charge for Your Pet
| VoeGOL Airlines|
$55 Domestic (Brasil)
Max Carrier Size: 17”x13”x9.5 43x32x 24cm
Pet Fee: $160-$220
|Max: 22lbs/10kg with Carrier|
Pet Fee: Free
|Cats and Dogs with NO weight restrictions|
Flys NY, Miami, Boston to Nicaragua, Uruguay, Paraguay and Ecuador
Pet must be at least 8 weeks old
Pet Fee: $30 to $150
|“Generally about 20″x15″x10” and weighing less than 40 pounds”|
Pet Fee: 10% of Your Ticket
|Dogs and Cats Up to 33 lbs! |
VIP experience for Pet Travel
Can I Take a 25 lb Dog In Cabin OnBoard a Plane?
Yes, you can fly big dogs in cabin with these 8 Airlines that Fly 25lbs+ Dogs aboard are: La Compagnie Airlines, JSX Airlines, WestJet Air, Boutique Air, Eastern Air, iFly Air, Breeze Airlines and Shared Charter Flights. . All these airlines will accept a 25 lb and even larger Dogs In Cabin.
Remember, each aircraft can only carry a certain number of Pets on board so, you need to book your pet separately from your ticket and contact the airline to ensure there is space for your Pet.
Flying with a Larger Dog In Cabin Internationally?
Pet travel with a larger dog in cabin requires more flexibility than traveling with just humans. Six airlines fly large Dogs Internationally. 6 airlines are: JSX, LaCompagnie, WestJet, Shared Charter Travel with Pets, American and Spirit Airlines.
Airline Travel with Pets: Booking Your Flight
All airlines limit the number of Pets on each aircraft. The average is 2-6 Pets on each plane. Booking your pet with the airline takes an additional step.
Whether you book your flight directly with the airline or an OTA (Online Travel Agent) such as Skyscanner, Agoda, Kayak, always call the airlines (I know, it takes forever), to confirm your Pet’s booking to ensure you have one of those few coveted spaces for a Pet onboard. See more important information about Booking Your Pet In-Cabin HERE
Airlines that Allow Large Dogs IN CABIN
- JSX Airlines
- La Compagnie Airlines,
- Chartered Air Travel with Pets,
- WestJet Airlines
- iFly Airlines
- Boutique Airlines
What is a Large Dog for Airline Pet Travel?
Any Dog that fits under the seat on an airplane IS NOT A LARGE DOG. The airline standard for pet carriers IN CABIN is 17″x11″x11″. You can fly with a large Dog in cabin. There aren’t many but, CompanionPetTravel.com lists the actual airlines that fly large dogs in cabin.
Website such as Dogstravelguide tell you that United Airlines flies Large Dogs In Cabin and the qualifies that with so long as they fit under the seat in a carrier that measures no larger than 17″x11″x11″ or 44cmx28x28cm. It’s a lie.
Documents Needed for Moving or Flying with Pets Internationally
- Microchip Certificate
- Rabies Vaccination Certificate
- Health Certificate. For International Pet Travel, you may need more than 1 Health Certificate–Some transit countries require their own Certificates.
- Rabies Titer Test results
- Parasite Treatment certificate—Often Deworming
- This is just a guide on what is required, please check the requirements for your specific airline and destination country at our page: Pet Passports and Pet Health Certificates.
The airline standard weight for Dogs in cabin is 8kg or 17 pounds. Airlines that allow larger Dogs aboard in the main cabin for 2022 are: JSX Airlines for Domestic Pet Travel in the US and Chartered Air Travel with Pets, La Compagnie Airlines and WestJet Airlines for International flights from US to Canada & Europe.
So, if your Dog is too big to fit in a carrier In-Cabin, for the price of the seat next to you, you can bring your Large Dog, leashed, onboard the plane. Your dog can share the floor space of two seats and you can have use of two seats on Chartered Air Travel with Pets, JSX Airlines and WestJet.