Your pet must be microchipped, have a Rabies vaccination at least 21 days before travel, have a Health Certificate by an accredited Veterinarian and submit the completed Health Certificate to APHIS within 10 days of entry to the Czech Republic.
This allows your pet to travel up to 4 months from the issue date as long as the rabies vaccine does not expire during your travel. Quarantine is not mandatory unless pet owners fail to follow travel requirements. Pets are: Dogs Cats and Ferrets. Source: USDA/APHIS
What Information is in a Pet Passport?
Step 1 SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A USDA ACCREDITED VETERINARIAN.
At the appointment, the Veterinarian will fill out the approved USDA Health Certificate.
- Find a USDA Accredited Veterinarian in your state at the USDA/APHIS Portal Here.
- You may need more than one appointment for your pet such as boosters and 2nd dosage or to wait for a Rabies/Titer test results.
- Your Veterinarian will ensure the following requirements are in the Health Certificate:
A. Your Pet Must Have a Microchip
All Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets must have a microchip implanted. We recommend your pet have a microchip in the standard ISO compliant microchip format. Most country inspection services; veterinarians and animal shelters word-wide use the ISO standard.
ISO Standard Microchip?
Not an ISO Standard Microchip?
The number and the date of implantation of both microchips must be documented on the Health Certificate.
3. When recording the “Date of implantation and/or reading [dd/mm/yyyy]” of the microchip/transponder on the health certificate, IT MUST BE ON OR BEFORE THE DATE OF THE PRIMARY RABIES VACCINATION. If your pet was vaccinated for rabies before the microchip was implanted, you pet must be revaccinated.
B. Rabies Vaccination is Mandatory
1. Pets must be vaccinated for Rabies More than 21 days before entry to the Czech Republic This information is included in the pet’s microchip. If your pet was vaccinated for rabies before the microchip was implanted, you pet must be revaccinated. The Rabies vaccine MUST occur the same day or after the microchip implant.
2. The Rabies vaccination valid for 1, 2, or 3 years are all acceptable. The vaccination must be valid at the time of entry to the Czech Republic.
If this pet is less than 15 weeks old and has not been vaccinated for rabies more than 21 days before entry into the EU, there are two options:
Option 1: Pet is Traveling with its Mother
Option 2: Declaration of No Contact with Wild Animals
For pets at least 15 weeks old and Vaccinated for rabies more than 21 days before entry into the Czech Republic:
Rabies vaccination must occur the same day as or AFTER microchip implantation.
C. 21 Day Waiting Period
After primary vaccination, you must wait for 21 days after the Primary Rabies vaccination.
What is a “Primary” Rabies vaccination?
A rabies vaccination is considered a primary vaccination by the Czech Republic when:
It is the first vaccination given the same day or after microchip implantation
The previous rabies vaccination was expired when the latest vaccination was given.
If you pet has had previous vaccinations for Rabies that are now expired, another can be administered, and it is considered “primary”, and you must wait the 21 days from this subsequent vaccination.
D. Parasite Treatments are not mandatory for entry to the Czech Republic from the US.
STEP 2 SUBMIT DOCUMENTS TO THE APHIS ENDORSEMENT closest to your state via 1 of 3 Methods: Electronic, In-Person, Mail:
- SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY: Your Veterinarian will submit the Health Certificate for Endorsement (final approval) electronically.
2. SUBMIT IN PERSON BY APPOINTMENT to the nearest Endorsement Office.
A. Find the nearest office at USDA/APHIS Endorsement Office locator.
B. Five or less pets traveling to the Czech Republic within 5 days of the owner or designated person, use the “Non-Commercial” Health Certificate. You can download the APHIS Health Certificate:
C. Once the Health Certificate is endorsed by USDA/APHIS, you must enter the APHIS-assigned Certificate Number in the “Animal Health Certificate Number” section of the Declaration.
- REGULAR/EXPEDITED MAIL
A. Find the nearest office at USDA/APHIS Endorsement office locator:
B. Include a POSTAGE-PAID, RETURN ENVELOPE. The USDA will not pay for your postage. Send it by FedEX, USPS, DHL UPS or other “overnight” delivery method to expedite. Most Offices process and return within 3 business days after they receive your documents.
C. Include Health Certificate, Import Permit, Pet Export Checklist, Vaccination Checklist And Other Test Results Required and Payment. Do not pay in Cash.
D. Once the Health Certificate is endorsed by USDA/APHIS, you must enter the APHIS-assigned Certificate Number in the “Animal Health Certificate Number” section of the Declaration.
E. Five or less pets traveling to Czech Republic within 5 days of the owner or designated person, use the “Non-Commercial” Health Certificate. You can download the APHIS Health Certificate:
1. The completed health certificate must be endorsed (counter-signed and embossed/stamped) by USDA/APHIS within 10 days of arrival.
2. The final page of the EU Health Certificate contains a Declaration of Non-Commercial USE transport. Complete and sign before the pet travels to the Czech Republic. The Declaration must accompany the pet and health certificate to the Czech Republic.
3. The Health Certificate is valid for 30 days after the USDA Accredited Veterinarian completes and signs it.
4. Your pet’s Health Certificate allows you to travel up to 4 months from the date it is issued by the USDA/APHIS Accredited Veterinarian as long as the rabies vaccine documented on it does not expire.
- Timeframe: How long will it take to receive my USDA Health Certificate Endorsement? Health Certificates submitted in VEHCS or as a hardcopy document may take upwards of 3 business days after receipt for endorsement. Source: USDA APHIS.
6. Cost: The fee will be $121-$173usd for the 1st Pet on the Certificate. Each additional pet on the same Certificate will cost $7-$14usd.
7. Keep copies of all your documents and tracking number if you mailed your documents to APHIS.
8. Pet Passport policies change. Please check country-specific regulations before making travel arrangements.