I love living in San Miguel de Allende (SMA)! This UNESCO historic city is well-preserved, quaint, and the weather is great and it’s ideal for a pet friendly trip in easy reach from the US. Here it is easier to find a restaurant that doesn’t allow pets than to list those that do. My home is very Pet-Friendly! No wonder it won the Conde Nast “Best Small City in the World” award for 2020, 2018, 2017 AND 2021!
FLYING is the best way to get to SAN MIQUEL de ALLENDE WITH YOUR PET
There is no quarantine for healthy pets to travel to Mexico.
IF entering from US or Canada there is no longer a requirement for a Health Certificate. You pet will be examined upon arrival in Mexico. If it is deemed health, it may enter.
IF entering from other countries, the owner must present duplicate (Original and Copy) of a Health Certificate. The Certificate must be on the Veterinarian’s Letterhead with contact info., license number, name and address of owner, physical description of the pet and state that your pet is free of any contagious disease, printed (not hand-written).
FLY: Three closest Airports to San Miguel de Allende are: Mexico City (3.5 hour drive), Leon (1.5 hour drive) and Queretaro (1 hour drive).
When you arrive, travel by Bus/Shuttle to San Miguel. Contact Primera Plus, https://wl.primeraplus.com.mx/ ,ETN https://etn.com.mx/english/, or my favorite for reliability and price BajioGO bajiogo.com
TIP:. The ATMs will ask you to accept or decline 2 charges. You must Accept the banks fee but REJECT the next 2nd request to accept the CONVERSION. Decline the Conversion and you still get your money but only pay the ATM fee.
PET FRIENDLY HOTELS IN SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE CLOSEST TO CITY CENTER
There are many pet-friendly hotels. These are closest to Centro
PETS WELCOME: Cats and Dogs
ALLOWANCES/RESTRICTIONS: Up to lbs
AVERAGE COST PER ROOM: $190usd
32 San Francisco
SELINA SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE HOTEL
PETS WELCOME: Dogs and Cats
FEES/DEPOSIT: $10usd per night, per pet
ALLOWANCES/RESTRICTIONS: None Stated
AVERAGE COST PER ROOM: $100-150usd per night
Cuna de Allende 11, Zona Centro:
DOS CASAS BOUTIQUE HOTEL
PETS WELCOME: Dogs
FEES/DEPOSIT: $40usd per night, per pet
ALLOWANCES/RESTRICTIONS: Small and Medium sized Dogs
AVERAGE COST PER ROOM: $240usd
Quebrada 101 Downtown,
HOTEL VILLA SANTA BLANCA
PETS WELCOME: Dogs
ALLOWANCES/RESTRICTIONS: Dogs up to 33lbs
AVERAGE COST PER ROOM: $80
21 Diez de Sollano y Davalos Zona Centro
PETS WELCOME: Cats and Dogs
ALLOWANCES/RESTRICTIONS: up to 33lbs (specific rooms only)
AVERAGE COST PER ROOM: $150-320usd
34 San Francisco Centro
TIP: Wifi can be spotty in hotels and villas. Walls in this historic Colonial city are often a foot thick making browsing while relaxing after a long day a bit of a problem. Most cafes and restaurants have reliable wifi.
WHERE TO EAT, DRINK AND PEOPLE WATCH IN SAN MIGUEL WITH YOUR PET
So many restaurants and cafes have open air dining it’s not hard to find many dining options to include your furry companion. It’s harder to find restaurants that do not allow pets than it is to find pet-friendly. San Miguel is very pet-friendly.
For Dinner: Café Rama Nemecio Diez No. 7, this cafe is super trendy, has an organic menu, it is a funky outdoor establishment that has Pop Art decor and of course… it’s pet friendly!
For Lunch: Luna de Queso. Josephina Orozco 10. Part gourmet grocery and part café. They have items here that you cannot find anywhere else in San Miguel and they have a dog bar by the front door that serves water and snacks. Cheerful servers will take your order inside, and bring your items to the table outside.
For Coffee: Geek and Coffee, Calz de la Aurora. Not only do they have a large grass lawn for your furry friends to enjoy, they have great wifi, many connections and offer tech support all with coffee and a lunch menu.
For Dessert: San Augustin Chocolates and Churros, Calle San Francisco 21. Best Churros and Hot chocolate, even lunch in town and very close to the Jardin. So many toppings to choose from, you’ll have to visit more than once.
For best Enchiladas: Juan’s Café, 37 Relox. Great little café, very artsy, very homey, great service for a great price (40-230 pesos), outdoor and indoor seating, bring your fur baby for the short walk from the centro.
GETTING AROUND IN SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE WITH YOUR PET
- Bus. Allows smaller pets and the local commuter buses are only 8 pesos each way (.40 cents usd) and run all over the major routes in the city.
- Uber and Taxi. Uber app works here, and many accept pet, just ask for a ride that allows your pet. Taxis are waiting around town, agree upon the price before you get in, few taxis have meters. A lot of visitors and expats walk where they want to go and only need an Uber or taxi back after a long day of seeing the sights. Especially if you chose a hotel not in Centro or the flatter areas of town. If your hotel is up the hill a bit, Uber and Taxis will cost about $3usd.
- Walking. San Miguel is very walkable. Though San Miguel has many steep hills to climb, a significant part, popular with retirees, is fairly flat.
- TIP: Bring sturdy shoes, the cobblestones along many streets can be hard with heels or flip-flops. And many of the sidewalks are quite narrow.
SERVICES FOR YOUR PET IN SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
WOOW GUAU pet supply and accessory store close to Centro on Mesones
DUSTY PUPPIES supply store that offers grooming and the owner is a Veterinarian
PETCO EXPRESS is smaller than their regular stores but, does have Grooming
VETERINARIANS: Some Vets and (Doctors for humans) make good old-fashioned house calls if there is an emergency or after-hours.
Dr. Ricardo Lopez Landeros, Emergency: 415-154-2901
Dr. Edgardo Rene Vazquez Olmos, Emergency: 415-154 8452
Dr. Michael Kronish, 415-109-9957
Pet Vet, Emergency: 415-152-4463
WHAT TO DO IN SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE WITH YOUR PET
- Free Walking Tours all over the city catering to interests ranging from art, history, architecture and food and drink. One really special tour is with “Fat Bastard Art Walks” profiling street art twice a week. There’s always brunch/lunch with the group afterwards. Weyland always has a great turnout of newcomers and residents from all over the world bringing their furry friends.
- Private Customized Tours with ATV, food and drink tastings and Wine. The great weather for growing grapes has helped make San Miguel de Allende so popular and most tours allow your companion pet. Joseph Toones personal tours is a favorite here. Joseph is a Historical Society’s short story award winner, Amazon bestseller author and few seem to know as much about the secret world of San Miguel de Allende as he does.
- Newcomers Brunch and Dinner. Join FB Newcomers, Expats and Friends for the schedule. We try out a new restaurant every week and meet on Sundays and Wednesdays.
- Jardin de Allende right outside Perroquia de San Miguel Arcangel (the Garden next to the big pink church) in the center of town is a great place to people watch, have coffee or lunch and relax with your pet anytime day or night.
- Festivals. Día de los Muertos on November 2 is just one of the very many festivals throughout the year including live music and dancing and parades.
- Art Galleries such as Fabrica la Aurora hold many shows, classes and talks ranging from abstract to folk. Fabrica la Aurora is the largest and is pet-friendly. Stop by next door at Geek and Coffee’s large yard for dogs to run around and coffee and snacks for you.
- ORGANIC MARKET. Stroll with your pet the Organic Mercadito in Los Frailes. Open all day Saturdays at Calle de la Pila 6, Colonia Los Frailes
QUICK FACTS ABOUT SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE:
- Currency Conversion: As of July 2001, $1usd=19.90pesos
- Visa: Many Countries are allowed up to 180 days FREE visa on arrival. No Quarantine requirement.
- Best season to Visit San Miguel— High Season is October 15 – April 1, (Less rain) Low Season is April 1-October 15, (more rain—usually in the afternoon).
- Weather: Other than rain, SMA remains year-round between 73f-85f.
- Basic lunch menu with non-alcoholic drink: $11
- Coffee/Cappuccino: 2.80
- Bottled Water: .60cents usd. It’s best not to drink the tap water.
- Pack of Cigarettes: 3.15
- Many people speak English
- Very Walkable, so long as you have sturdy shoes.
TIP: GET WHATSAPP—MEXICO uses Whatsapp for free texts and calls. Restaurants, Vets, Dentist, Grocery Stores, hotels and transport companies all use Whatsapp. It’s free.
There really is no bad time to visit San Miguel de Allende, the weather is great year-round, even when it rains in the afternoons. We are very pet friendly, walkable, affordable and close to so many cultural sites. Come join us and bring your furry companion pet.