Pet Health Certificates and Pet Passport US to Everywhere

Step-by-Step Instructions and Forms for Pet Travel from the US to Europe, South America and Asia.

Including: How to Get a Pet Health Certificate from the US to Fly with Pets Anywhere

What is a Pet Health Certificate or Pet Passport?

A Pet Health certificate and for some countries, a Pet Passport, is an official document issued and often endorsed by USDA/APHIS, through your Veterinarian certifying that your Pet is fit to travel including vaccination, Rabies & Titer tests, Microchip, age, breed and health conditions required to travel with pets. Many Airlines require a Certificate to be issued within 5 to 14 days prior to travel.

RELATED: Cost of Pet Health Certificates for Travel—Prices from Actual Travelers  

RELATED: Flying with Pets: Tips for How to Get A Pet Health Certificate from the US

RELATED: Pet Travel: How to Book Your Pet to Fly In Cabin

RELATED: How to Prepare a Pet Crate for Air Travel

Here are the Cargo Crates I recommend from traveler’s reports back over the last 3 years of Pet Travel and the 4 Pet Carriers I use for travel with my fur babies: Best Cargo Crate for Flying with Large Dogs in 2022; 4 Best In-Cabin Pet Carriers for Airlines 2022

RELATED: Flying with Pets: Tips for How to Get A Pet Health Certificate from the US

Documents Needed for Moving or Flying with Pets Internationally

  • Microchip Certificate
  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate
  • Health Certificate. For International Pet Travel, you may need more than 1 Health Certificate–Some transit countries require their own Certificates.
  • Rabies Titer Test results
  • Parasite Treatment certificate—Often Deworming
  • This is just a guide on what is required, please check the requirements for your specific airline and destination country at our page: Pet Passports and Pet Health Certificates.

Do I Need a Pet Health Certificate to Fly with My Pet?

Yes, Pet Health Certificate requirements are set by the destination country and airline to fly with Pets. Requirements: Vaccinations, Rabies & Titer test, Microchip, Medications, Parasite Treatments, Age and Breed. Pet Health Certificates often are issued 10-14 days prior to entry and must be endorsed by the USDA and APHIS through your Veterinarian.



  • 1. Microchip is mandatory including documented inoculations,
  • 2. A Rabies vaccination at least 21 days before travel,
  • A Health Certificate by an accredited USDA Veterinarian,
  • Submit the completed Health Certificate to APHIS for approval within 10 days of entry to destination,
  • 5. This allows your pet to travel up to 4 months from the issue date.