A Helpful Guide of All Factors When Buying Pet Health Insurance
Pet Health Insurance give us a financial safety net when something unexpected happens to our Companion Pets.
It’s easier than you may think. We can find a small amount each month to save us thousands of dollars once an emergency hits.
After much research for accident coverage for my two cats I finally found Eusoh! They actually cover my Pets while we traveling out of our home state and while overseas.
CompanionPetTravel is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Are My Pets Covered by the Airlines Travel Insurance?
Airlines consider Pets to be “property” of their “owners”. Liability and compensation for harm to or loss of a Pet is usually relegated to the declared amount or the maximum value of belongings. Current policy limits required by DOT are set at $3,800 for domestic flights in 2022.
Is a Pet Illness Covered by an Airline Cancelation Policy?
A Pet Illness is rarely covered by the minimum DOT required of Airlines to cover with insurance. An Add-On to your policy of “Cancel for Any Reason” or “Trip Interruption” at an additional fee may cover trip interruption caused by a sudden Pet illness or emergency .that causes you to cancel your flight or trip.
Additional Pet Travel Insurance may cover your Pet during their travel and while away from home on vacation or abroad.
There are 4 Kinds of Pet Health Insurance Coverage
- Comprehensive–Covers Illness, Accidents, Wellness, Emergencies and Dental
- Accident, Illness and Death
What Kind of Pet Insurance Do You Need? Answer These Questions
- Do You Have $1,000 to $5,000 for a Pet’s Emergency Needs? If Yes, You may be not need comprehensive insurance. You may want only major medical such as cancer or other life-threatening diseases.
- Can You Budget $15 to $50 Per Month? This can easily cover Pet Illness and Emergency.
- Can You Budget more than $50. You can insure your Pet’s needs for Comprehensive coverage.
I travel full time and sometimes with my Pets: Chihiro and Sophie. Eusoh is one of the few companies that covers care while I am traveling out of my state and out of the US. I have been to Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, Mexico and now in Thailand. My kitties are covered. Their prices are affordable and give real coverage and peace of mind.
What is the Cost of Pet Health Insurance Based On?
- Your Choice of Accident or Comprehensive Pet Insurance.
- What Deductible you Choose. (The higher the deductible, the less the monthly premium)
- Pet’s Breed (Some Breeds are more prone to Health problems such as Snub Nose Dogs and Cats)
- Pet’s Age
- Pre-Existing Conditions
- If you Choose a Co-Pay and How Much
- Your Zip Code
- Reimbursement of Costs After You Pay or Direct Pay at time of Service
- If there is a Maximum Yearly or Lifetime Payout
- See Our Full List of What Is the Cost of Pet Insurance Based on Below…
|Pet Health Insurance Cost Factors||Consideration for Your Pets|
|Age Limit or Minimum||Does Coverage Decline and Your Pet Ages?|
|Pre Existing Condition Coverage||Is an Exam Required to Determine Pre-Existing Conditions|
|Waiting Period||1=5-30 Days is Common and up to 1 Year for Hip Dysplasia or Ligament Issues|
|Rehabilitative Treatment||Including Treatment such as Physical Therapy, Chiropractic Care|
|Exam Fees||Are X-Rays, Annual Wellness Exams or Exams when Your Pet Swallows Something Foreign|
|Prescription Supplements or Special Diets||Your Pet May Require Regular Medications or Special Diet Food or Supplements as they Age|
|Elective Surgeries||Rarely Covered DeClawing, Tail Docking, Ear Cropping|
|Preventative or Wellness Care||Spay, Neuter, Teeth Cleaning, Vaccinations|
|Reimbursement or Direct Pay||Will You Pay First and Make a Claim or Does the Vet Bill Directly to the Insurance?|
|Pay Out Limits||Most have a maximum payout for services per year or Pet|
|Deductibles||How Much You Pay BEFORE the Insurance Pays. Usually per year, The Higher the Deductible, the Lower the Premium|
|Your Zip Code Affects Your Premium Rate||Claims History of Your City, State or Neighborhood|
|Dental Care||Cleanings, Extractions ect.|
|Discounts||Ask for Multi-Pet, Spayed or Neutered, Group or Military Discounts|
|Full/Comprehensive or Accident and Illness Only|
|Choice of Clinic or Hospital||Can You Choose Your Clinic or Hospital or Your Insurance Companies’ Network?|
|Can you use any Veterinarian or Hospital or Do You need to find one in the Plan’s Network||Can You Choose to Use Your Own Vet or a Vet in another City or Do You Have to Use a Vet in Your Insurance Companies’ Network?|
|Trip, Holiday or Travel Abroad|
When Traveling with Pets, ensure you have adequate liability coverage for your Dog or Cat from the airline or an outside insurer.
Airlines have limits on liability insurance for baggage, but you should be able to declare a higher value (with a higher fee).
See All My Information for Pet Travel Companion Pet Travel: Flying with Pets
What is the Average Cost of Pet Insurance in 2022?
For 2021, the average Pet Insurance for Dogs or Cats is about $600 per year.. See North American Pet Health Insurance Association
I save money and ensure my two cats, Chihiro and Sophie are covered when we travel out of Colorado and overseas with Eusoh. I’ve priced so many insurance companies and few cover issues while traveling. Eusoh provides coverage and compensation when we are overseas. Here’s their latest code for a discount:
Is My Pet Insured by My HomeOwners or Renters Insurance?
Homeowners or Renters Insurance usually cover you if your pet injures someone or another Pet or damages their property and you’re legally responsible, whether the incident occurs inside your home or not. (some Breeds will often be excluded), but not damage to your own property by your own Pet.
Although some homeowners insurance and renters insurance policies may include coverage for Pets under the special limits of “personal property”, the coverage is usually limited to specified events or occurances.
Accidents, illness, and injuries would not usually be a covered event. Many homeowner’s policies have exclusions regarding coverage of Pets. If you are traveling with Dogs, check out Eusoh with their New Prices for Dogs at $75 per month. A great bargain for peace of mind while traveling.
Finding Pet Health Coverage for Pet Travel is not so easy. Few companies cover your pet while out of the US. Eusoh is one of the few that provide quality coverage overseas. I’m trust them with my two kitties.
- Should I Buy a Pet Stroller?
- 21 Top Pet Travel Tips for 2022
- Will My Pet Have Food & Water on A Plane Flight?
- Amazon Pet Travel Finds Under $25
- Are Pet Backpacks Allowed on Airlines?
Documents Needed for Moving or Flying with Pets Internationally
- Microchip Certificate
- Rabies Vaccination Certificate
- Health Certificate. For International Pet Travel, you may need more than 1 Health Certificate–Some transit countries require their own Certificates.
- Rabies Titer Test results
- Parasite Treatment certificate—Often Deworming
- This is just a guide on what is required, please check the requirements for your specific airline and destination country at our page: Pet Passports and Pet Health Certificates.