Fly To France & Take a Ferry or Pet Taxi Instead! Options for Dogs In-Cabin 2022
Can I Fly with my Dog In-Cabin to England UK?
No. All Animals and Pets must fly in Cargo into England/UK but you have options: fly your Pet In Cabin to England UK through France. It is less expensive to fly to France and take a Pet Taxi or Ferry to England. England UK requires your Pet to travel in Cargo and you must hire a Pet Broker.
This is Why You Should Fly Your Pet to England UK through France
- You cannot fly your Dog or Cat In-Cabin into England UK.
- Flying your Dog or Cat to England can easily cost up to $5,000. Flying into France is much less expensive (even with the additional Health Certificate). For example: In January 2022, Air France cost per Pet was $400 per Pet Crate (any size) and $125 per Pet flying In-Cabin
- You cannot pick up your Dog or Cat yourself. Flying into England with your Pet requires that you hire a Pet Broker at the airport=more money and longer wait.
- Hiring the required Animal Receiver adds an additional cost to you
- Hiring the required Animal Receiver adds hours to reuniting with your Pet after a long flight. Your Dog or Cat must clear customs through the Animal Reception Service.
- Flying with your Pet through France is much faster–you can pick them up yourself or can fly In-Cabin.
- Heathrow Airport in London is booked months in advance for Pets Flying into England.
If flying to England (UK) and having your Dog or Cat in cargo is not an option, you have alternatives!
You have another option to travel with your Pet to England/UK! You can book a flight into nearby France or Amsterdam, both allow Pets to fly in the cabin. Once you arrive, you have a few good options to travel to England:
Here are your 3 Best Options to Fly Your Dog to England In-Cabin:
- Fly with your Pet to France and Take a Pet Taxi to drive through the Eurotunnel, aka, The Chunnel, into England.
- Take a Ferry with your Pet from France to England or Amsterdam with or without a car. BEST OPTION–Faster and Less Expensive. 1 Ferry allows foot-and paw passengers (no car needed) and others have Pet Friendly Cabins.
- Rent a car or Drive Yourself and your Pets through the Eurotunnel into England.
PROS: Flying your Dog to France In-Cabin then Take a Pet Taxi or Ferry to England.
- Less red-tape–Transit with your Dog, Cat or Ferret to France or Amsterdam and then on to England is easier and requires less paperwork.
- HARC (Heathrow Animal Reception Service) is usually fully booked months in advance. E.g. In January 2022, HARC is booked through March.
- Hiring a pet taxi from France or Amsterdam to England can be done online or with a phone call and there are many reputable Pet Taxis available.
- You do not need to hire a receiver (agent) to receive your pet at Heathrow Pet Reception=no additional Agent/Receiver cost.
- No threat of Pet Quarantine
- And, you do not need an EU Pet Passport to transit through France or Amsterdam. You just need your Dog’s Pet Health Certificate.
See All my Information for Companion Pet Travel: Flying with Pets
CONS: Flying your Dog to France In-Cabin then Take a Pet Taxi or Ferry to England.
- This alternative to flying directly into England/UK will likely take longer–but only by a day or two.
- If you choose to take the Ferry, it is a good idea to stay overnight in Paris or the area closer to your Ferry. It can be exhausting to fly for hours, get from the airport,(CDG), to the train and then to the Ferry.
- You will need to coordinate a Pet Taxi or buy your Train or Ferry ticket to Calais or Dieppe.
1. Hire a Pet Taxi from France to UK/England
Many affordable Pet Taxis are ready to book and drive you and your pets through the Eurotunnel (Chunnel) and deliver you to your destination in England.
Many affordable Pet Taxis are ready to book and drive you and your Pets from the airport or other location through the Eurotunnel (Chunnel) and deliver you to your destination in England.
From our Traveler Poll, the Best Pet Taxis from France to England are:
- Happy Saluki Pet Transport
- Folkestone Taxi
- See All Best Options from My Poll of Recent Pet Travels using a Pet Taxi Pet Taxis from France to England– Costs and Routes from Real Pet Travelers in 2022
- Most Pet transport taxis allow up to 5 Pets per vehicle.
- Pet Taxis have different sizes of vehicles available from sedan to vans.
- You can have the taxi for just you and your Pets or share with other riders and their Pets.
- You can by phone and use Wise (TransferWise) or other method to make the payment online.
- The trip takes approximately 6-7 hours.
- If you need to travel further, many Pet Taxis specifically transport Dogs, Cats and Ferrets longer distances between France or Amsterdam and the UK, not just across the Channel.
- The Pet Taxis collect You and your Pet (or just your Pet) directly from the airport or hotel, then transport your Pet to the UK and to nearly any location.
2.1. Pet Travel From France to England with a Car: FERRIES
On most ferries, your Dog, Cat or Ferret will stay in your car for the voyage.
Some ferries offer kennel options.
Some ferries even have Pet-Friendly cabins for you and your Pets.
These ferries include (Brittany Ferry to St Malo, Bilbao and Santander, and DFDS Seaways between Newcastle and Amsterdam).
If you opt for your Pet to remain in your car, it’s best to choose one of the quicker ferry options, such as between Dover and Calais, particularly if traveling in the warmer months.
Your dog stays in your car along with you, and the actual crossing only takes 35 minutes. There is an additional charge of $30 per pet, in each direction.
At both Calais (France) and Folkestone (UK) you will need to report to the Pet Reception Center, prior to checking in. Make sure you allow additional time for this step. Here your dog’s paperwork will be checked.
For example, if you fly with your Pet into Paris, Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG), you can buy a train ticket from the airport to the ferry station in Dieppe and then take the pet-friendly Ferry from Dieppe to England with or without a car.
See Also My How to Get Pet Passport from US to FRANCE
2.2 Pet Travel from France to UK/England with NO CAR: FERRIES
You can take the train or Pet Taxi to Dieppe, France and take the DFDS Ferry that lets you take your Pet on a Ferry without a Car.
You would fly into Paris, take the Pet-Friendly train or a Pet Taxi to Dieppe and then the DFDS Seaways Ferry.
Dieppe Ferry is in Newhaven. The Ferry connects England with France. Currently, the DFDS Seaways travels about 20 times a week and takes about 4 hours.
This is the only ferry between France and England that allows foot passengers to bring their Dog, Cat or Ferret, Cost: about $25 per Pet.
The voyage is about 4 hours (Dover to Dunkirk or Calais is shorter).
Pets are kept in kennels on the car deck for the entire journey. Pets must be carried on board in a pet carrier.
PET FRIENDLY FERRIES FROM FRANCE AND AMSTERDAM TO ENGLAND/UK
|Pet in Car|
|No Car Required|
|Pet Friendly Cabin|
to Newhaven England
Your Pet will Remain
in their Kennel in the
Taxi or Your Car
$40 Per Kennel
No Car Required
You can Travel on
Foot Without a Car
$20 Per Pet
$40 Per Kennel
2 Med Sized Dogs
$40 Per Pet
See, Details at DFDS Ferries. Direct Phone: +33 232 145 239, Email: Dieppe.DutyOfficer@dfds.com
3. Drive Your Pet through the Eurotunnel with a Rented or Your Own Car to England
Your 3rd option if you have a car, (most convenient) is to drive you and your Pets through the Eurotunnel.
Unless you have your own car, renting is going to be the most expensive. Few rental companies allow a one-way rental to another country.
So, unless you intend to return the vehicle to France, it is less expensive to take a Pet Taxi or the Ferry.
Airlines that Fly Large Dogs In Cabin to Europe
Frenchbee Airlines, JSX Airlines, La Compagnie Airlines and Shared Charter Flights. See more information Flying with a Large Dog In Cabin in 2022
You must call to book– most ferries you cannot book online in 2022.
Cost to Take Your Pet on the Ferry from France or Amsterdam to England/UK:
Example of Actual Pet Friendly Ferry Cost in 2021: It costs about $100 for 1 person, 1 large Dog and a Cat to take the DFDS ferry from France to Newhaven, England.
Example of Actual Pet Friendly Ferry Cost in 2022: DFDS Seaways charges of $20-25 each way for each pet traveling onboard, with the exception of Service Dogs, which are carried free of charge. (In the EU, your Service Dog must be registered–not in the US) .
For Details on Pet Taxi and Costs of Pet Taxi Services from Actual Travelers Pet Taxis from France to England– Costs and Routes from Real Pet Travelers in 2022
Or, you can book a cabin. There are 4-bed, sea view, pet friendly cabins available for $41 per dog.
Each cabin can accommodate up to 2 medium sized dogs. These cabins are bookable by calling 0871 522 9955. Foot passengers–pets without a car– traveling with dogs must book by calling the customer contact center.
Your pet can stay with you in the pet friendly cabins for the entire journey which can accommodate up to 2 medium sized dogs and sleep up to 4 people and you can take the.
Charles de Gaulle Airport is not very Pet Friendly. However, the best Pet Taxis drivers know there are rest areas on the way to the ferry or London–some have a Starbucks. Your pet may not make it that far so be sure to bring along pee pads for those accidents in the concourse.
Facebook Groups about Pet Travel to England UK Options:
Here are facebook groups that discuss and give detailed information and experiences on Pet Travel options to England:
Pet Health Certificate, Immunizations and Deworming Treatment:
Pet Import Requirements to Bring Your Pet from US to UK. Your Pet must be/have:
- Health Certificate for both France and UK. There is little difference between the two and a good Veterinarian will not charge double. Many viewers report that the only change on the Health Certificate was the country. Still, some less kind Vets will try to charge double. Cost for a Pet Health Certificate varies from $75 in Austin Texas to $300 in New York City.
- Microchip. Your Pet’s Microchip must have all the current vaccinations or your Pet must be revaccinated.
- Vaccination against Rabies. Not all microchips can be read everywhere in the World. to ensure your Pet’s microchip is compliant, the most widely accepted is the Universal 15 digit.. See my full article on Microchips for Pets-Everything You Need to Know for Travel
- Deworming treatment for your Dog is Required for England (not France). You can have this done in France as it must be done within 5 days of entry to England.
A recommended Veterinarian in Paris for the Deworming and if you need the UK Health Certificate is: Clinique Veterinaire Saint-Germain at +33 143544001
Be prepared for your pet’s paperwork to be carefully checked when entering England UK. The UK is is very strict about Dogs entering the country, so make sure everything is in order.
England UK Pet Travel Deworming Treatment
Deworming (Parasite) Treatment is Required for your Pet to Enter England UK. The treatment must be added to the Health Certificate by a Vet–over-the-counter treatments are not acceptable. The Treatment must be administered between 24 hours and 120 hours (5 days) before entering England UK.
The timing of the Deworming Treatment and Rabies is checked down to the hour.
If you do not have time to have an appointment in the US, you can make an appointment with a local vet in Paris or near the Ferry or Chunnel to have your Pet’s Deworming Treatment locally.
The Vet can apply the treatment and document this on your UK Pet Health Certificate before you leave France.
I had the Health Certificate completed and endorsed by USDA 10 days before travel and then went back to the Veterinarian a few days before travel for deworming treatment which the Vet signed on the Endorsed Health Certificate.
If you fail to have your Pet treated within this time scale,they could be rejected or subject to quarantine.
The tapeworm treatment must be administered by a vet and officially recorded in your pet’s UK pet passport. Over the counter treatments are not acceptable for the Health Certificate.
England UK Pet Health Certificate
If you are bringing your Pet to England UK from an unlisted country, your Pet requires a Rabies blood test (Titer Test). This test is proof that the vaccination is effective.
Your Pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the Rabies vaccination.
Your vet sends the blood sample to an approved blood testing laboratory.
You wait 3 months from the date the blood sample was taken.
The vet sends you a copy of the test results to you. This is usually accomplished using Fed Ex or DHL overnight delivery.
Tip: It is a long, exhausting day to fly with your Pet to France or Amsterdam, then find your Pet Taxi and drive 6-7 hours or take the Train and then the Ferry.
Try to stay 1 overnight so you are refreshed and any delays are less likely to interrupt your transfers.
See Also my How to Get Pet Passport from US to FRANCE
FAQ Flying with Pets to England In-Cabin Options
How Can I Fly with My Dog from USA to UK in 2022?
You can fly with your Dog directly from US to UK if your Dog travels in Cargo, Meets the DERFA requirements as “fit to fly” including a Health Certificate, Microchip with all Current Vaccinations on the Microchip, Current Rabies Vaccination (3 Year Vaccination is not accepted), and Deworming Treatment.
If cargo is not an option, you can fly into France, Amsterdam or Ireland and take a Pet Taxi or Ferry to England.
Can I take a Boat or Cruise with My Dog from USA to UK/England in 2022?
The Cruise Ship, QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2), is Pet-Friendly and sails from New York to England at a rate in 2022 of about $8k for 1 person and 1 pet in kennel.
Right now, I do not recommend this cruise for Pets because Cunard and their Queen Elizabeth 2 have been cancelling too many cruises during the pandemic and it is unreliable and not worth tying up your funds for 6 months or more.
Money is better spent flying into France and taking the Eurotunnel or the Ferry.
Can I Fly My Large Dog In Cabin from US to Europe, UK/England?
Yes, you can fly with your large Dog In Cabin from US to Europe, UK/England with a shared charter flight.
You will need to be flexible with dates and the cost depends on how many seats are sold and is approximately $8,000 one-way from NYC to France. See Chartered Air Travel with Pets and Animal Travelers on Facebook.
See more about Ferries and Pet Taxis here…
Bottom Line: England UK does not allow Pets In Cabin to fly into England UK. But you have an even better option: Fly your Pet In-Cabin to Paris and take the Ferry or Taxi to England. Do you want more options for flying with your dog or cat to Europe? Try Can I Buy an Extra Seat on a Plane for My Dog or Cat in Cabin?